We are working on potty training our youngest child. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little teary eyed at the idea that there will be no more diapers in this house ever again. On the flip side, that means there will be no more diapers in this house ever again!
A recent incident while potty training E has left me thinking that perhaps maybe, all the potty training articles out there should really be focusing more on tips for the parents as opposed to the kid.
Potty Training Tips Like
1. Remember your child actually has underwear on instead of a diaper. This means they will need to be reminded to go. I can assure you from personal experience their first time in underwear they will NOT remember to tell you.
2. Have patience & expect puddles. (see no. 1)
3. Your child will absolutely HATE , no make that loathe, the “big kid” underwear they so proudly chose all by themselves and loved so much when you took them shopping at Target. You will put it back in the drawer and try again in a few weeks.
4. Set your expectations low. (see no. 2 & no. 3)
5. Be sure YOU are ready for potty training. Once this process starts you actually need to leave the house with a child that is no longer in diapers. Think about that for a minute.
6. Keep your errands short. (see no. 5)
7. Know that they in fact will not leave for college still in a diaper so at some point both of you will get the hang of this.
8. Rewards are essential. For yourself. In the form of wine, lots and lots of wine.
Are you in the midst of potty training? If so, good luck Momma. I raise my glass to you!